Niantic announced last week that they were planning over 90 live events for Pokémon GO this summer, but gave no dates or locations outside of the planned Pokémon Go Fest in Chicago.
Now they have announced its first wave of European events, to be held at various Unibail–Rodamco shopping centers across Europe throughout the summer.
“Pokémon GO Meet and Greets” will give players and developers a chance to meet other players, pose for pictures with Pikachu and take advantage of PokéStops at the mall which will have Lure Modules active all day. The first event will take place this weekend in Paris, France, with other events planned in four other countries later this summer.
The full list of announced events areas follows:
- June 17: Paris, France – Les Quatre Temps – Cnit
- June 24: Paris, France – Centre Commercial – Rosny 2
- June 30: Munich, Germany – Pasing Arcaden
- July 1: Oberhausen, Germany – CentrO Oberhausen
- July 8 & 9: Copenhagen, Denmark – Fisketorvet Shopping Center
- July 15: Madrid, Spain – Parquesur
- July 21: Barcelona, Spain – La Maquinista
- July 29 & 30: Stockholm, Sweden – Mall of Scandinavia
While it now appears that Pokémon GO has more planned than just mall events in Europe, fans probably aren’t too thrilled to see the limited scope of what a “live event” entails. Fans had hoped that events like Pokémon GO Fest would be a way to obtain Legendary Pokémon but this new announcement throws that speculation into doubt.
With the first event happening this weekend, we’ll surely hear whether these Meet and Greets have any surprises in store. Niantic is also planning on announcing more details about Pokémon Go Fest next week.