These super-powered Pokémon will instantly become the strongest Pokémon in the game, surpassing even powerhouses like Dragonite and Tyranitar in sheer firepower and strength.
Legendary Pokémon typically have elite-level Attack stats, meaning that they could potentially tear through an entire gym on their own.
- Max CP: 3349
- Best Moveset: Volt Switch/Thunder
- Raikou is one of the three Legendary Beasts, Legendary Pokémon that roamed the Johto region in Pokémon Gold and Silver. When Raikou goes live, it’ll easily become the strongest Electric-type Pokémon in the game, with a super-high Attack stat and strong Defense and Stamina stats. We’ll note that there will be one Electric-Type Pokémon with an even higher Attack stat: the Legendary bird Zapdos, who has a lower CP due to (moderately) weaker Defense and Stamina stats.
- Raikou will be the ultimate Flying-Type and Water-Type buster, so get ready to get your hands on one ASAP.
- Max CP: 3412
- Best Moveset: Fire Spin/Overheat
- Entei’s Attack stats aren’t quite as strong as Raikou, but it has a much higher Stamina stat. In fact, Entei has the highest Stamina stat of any Legendary Pokémon in Pokémon GO, which means it’ll be among the best Pokémon to choose if you’re looking for a pure Gym Defender in the game. Entei has access to all the best Fire-Type attacks, including the top-tier charge move Overheat, so this will be the Legendary Pokémon you’ll want if you need a Fire-Type Pokémon of any kind.
- Max CP: 3598
- Best Moveset: Extrasensory/Future Sight
- Lugia doesn’t have as strong of an Attack stat as the other Legendary Pokémon in this list, but it makes up for it with its super-high Defense stat, the third highest in Pokémon GO. Although you’d expect the “guardian of the oceans” to be a Water-Type Pokémon, Lugia is actually a Psychic/Flying dual-type and is armed with one of the most damaging charge moves in the game: Future Sight. Lugia will wind up being an elite gym defender like Entei, although being a Flying-Type means it’ll have critical weaknesses to Ice-Type and Electric-Type attacks.
- Max CP: 4650
- Best Moveset: Steel Wing/Brave Bird
- Although all the Legendary Pokemon are pretty powerful, Ho-Oh and Mewtwo are in a league of their own. Ho-Oh has a whopping CP of 4650, which is over 1000 CP stronger than its counterpart Lugia. Ho-Oh really doesn’t have any weaknesses. It has the third highest Attack stat in Pokémon GO, the fifth highest Stamina stat, and the eleventh highest Defense stat. It also has the potential to use the most powerful Charge move in the game: Brave Bird. If you see a Ho-Oh in your local gym, you might want to consider finding another gym to attack.
- Max CP: 4760
- Best Moveset: Confusion/Psychic
- Mewtwo has a marginally higher CP stat than Ho-Oh due to its Attack stat, which is easily the highest in Pokémon GO. Mewtwo’s Attack stat isn’t just high – it’s over 25% more powerful than Dragonite or Ho-Oh’s attack stat. That means Mewtwo’s attacks are deadly, which more than makes up for its slightly sub-par Defense stats. Mewtwo’s Stamina stats are also elite, so you’ll need to be on the top of your game if/when it inevitably joins Pokémon GO. Are you ready?